In some scenario, while upgrading the entire new version or even installing the latest version to your existing Windows Operating system may occur various issues during the installation process. One of the most common errors is Windows could not complete the installation.
This is a quite common error on Windows 10 operating system. If the users would like to upgrade their computer from its existing Windows version to the latest Windows 10 operating system Or if they manually install the updates. Let’s discuss the various methods with different troubleshooting steps to resolve this error message. You should pay attention while following the below-provided methods.
Windows could not complete the installation – Troubleshooting methods
You can follow any one of the methods provided below. In order to resolve the Windows could not complete the installation error message.
Troubleshoot about the Error message
Sometimes, this issue Windows could not complete the installation windows 10 update can occur due to a bug and it can simply avoid by executing the installer file. Yes, even without getting the direct error message. Users can utilize this method only if they are using a USB drive or an external DVD player. Yes, it is to upgrade their computer or just installing the new updates. Initially, it is advisable to create a bootable DVD or USB with regards to Windows 10 operating system. In order to install any upgrades or latest updates or even recover your system.
With the help of Media Creation Tool, you can easily create the USB bootable drive. It can use to boot your device using the UEFI:
Steps to follow
- Open up a web browser and access the Microsoft’s official website and download the Media Creation Tool. From the Downloads section, double-click on the download file named MediaCreationTool.exe and launch the tool. Click on the Accept button to start the process.
- Enable the option named Create Installation Media (ISO, DVD file, or USB flash drive) for another PC on the existing screen. And click on the Next button.
- By default, the bootable drive’s edition, architecture, and the language will enable depending upon your computer’s configuration. However, if you would like to change the settings based on your computer’s different settings then you need to enable the option Use the recommended options for this PC settings to update or modify the appropriate settings and tap the Next button.
- Select the option USB flash drive from the following options between DVD or USB and tap the Next button.
- Within the drop-down list, select the Removable drive which indicates the list of storage devices that are connecting to your system and click on the Next button.
- Now, the Media Creation tool will start the process to download the required files to install the Windows 10 Operating system along with the bootable media creation. These files can be utilized on most of the devices which uses the latest one with UEFI or the legacy BIOS as well.
If once you have created the bootable USB file then you can start the booting process on your system. Since this is the simplest step which you can choose the bootable DVD or USB drive to boot your computer instead of purchasing an expensive double-layer DVD:
Follow the necessary steps
- You will receive the error message Windows could not complete the installation on your computer. Since the external storage device is connected to your system. Press the Shift + F10 keys simultaneously to access the Command prompt window.
- Now, you need to insert the USB drive or the DVD which you had created as a portable storage media for Windows 10 operating system. Wait for a few minutes to recognize the drive by your computer.
- After recognizing the drive, you need to type in D: and hit enter key on the Command prompt window to navigate the D: drive or partition (hard drive) on your computer.
- Then, type setup and hit the enter key to execute the Update Installer. Ensure that depending upon your system, the portable USB drive or DVD drive may change the letter.
Now, you should be able to complete the installation without any hassle.
Advanced Startup Work around
I would like to inform that this troubleshooting step might be wired but it will be very helpful to install the regular components on your Windows operating system. In case if you are experiencing hectic problems while installing the latest updates on your computer then it is recommended using this troubleshooting step to overcome the situation. Also, you won’t lose any information on your computer since there won’t be any modification or upgradation.
- Until you receive the Advanced Recovery options, it is required to turn off and on your computer for various times (mostly within three to four times you will receive the option). From the existing window, you can select the option named Reset your PC from the Troubleshoot screen.
- Enable the option named Keep my files and tap the Cancel button on the next screen. It is recommended to choose the Cancel button for multiple times until you receive the Choose an option pop-up window and now click on the Continue button.
- Upon completion, check if the issue persists with a similar installation.
AMD Users (Windows 10 Operating system)
The below-provided troubleshooting step was suggested by Microsoft especially for the AMD Users with Windows 10 operating system. The users may receive the error message Windows could not complete the installation while trying to upgrade. Or, install the latest updates or stuck with an infinite loop. Most of the users informed that the issue was resolved by just installing an update which was provided by Microsoft team.
- Windows Update Catalog will allow you to install the several updates on your computer. You can use the KB article (KB4073290) to download the updates which can also fix the several issues on your system.
- Access the Microsoft Update Catalog and enter the KB article number under the search text box and locate the downloadable file.
- Depending upon your computer’s architecture, you can choose the download either 64bit or 32bit file. Ensure that you know about your computer’s processor architecture before selecting the appropriate option.
- You need to download both files and execute the same. You can follow the on-screen instructions with more cautious to complete the updating process. The same steps to be followed for installing both files on your computer.
- Reboot your system after finishing the update. You can also make use of this downloaded file for any installation-related issues on your computer. And, check if the issue persists.
You should know that the BIOS is a sensitive thing and do not make any modifications or major troubleshooting steps unless it is most required to tweak the BIOS settings. Sometimes, you may also receive any error message on your computer with regards to BIOS out of date and it is suggesting by Microsoft to update the BIOS firmware on their system before installing the updates.
Any issues related to Windows Setup can easily fix by updating the BIOS. Most of the users informed that after updating the BIOS enabled will rectify the specific error message by following the below steps:
Rectify the specific error
- From the Start menu, type in the keyword “msinfo” without quotes under the run command box to know the BIOS current version that was installed on your system.
- You can make a note of your BIOS version with the Processor model for your identification.
- Also, the most important thing is to identify whether your PC was manually assembling by buying all the individual components or pre-built or even bundled. Because you need to know this information to update the BIOS for your entire computer and not for an individual component. Since the overwrite BIOS may not suite for other devices which may lead to system problems or major errors.
- Next, you need to prepare yourself for the computer update. In case, if you are using Laptop and would like to update the BIOS information then please ensure that your Laptop is fully charged and also plugged in. If it is a computer then it is recommended to utilize a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) to ensure your system should not turn off or power outage while processing the BIOS update.
- Most of the trustable sites were already created a complete guide about the BIOS update for different laptop and desktop manufacturers for their reference.
Modify or Update additional BIOS Settings
Sometimes, even after having the updated BIOS firmware on your computer, you may still receive unresolved error messages. Those should be due to various reasons and one of the most important facts is that related to the BIOS certain settings which may not work on Windows 10 operating system but can work fine on Windows 7 version. You can follow the below steps to resolve this issue Windows could not complete the installation 2019:
Resolve with steps
- You can turn off your system by clicking on the Start Menu and choose the Power button and enable the Shut Down option.
- The moment you turn on your computer, you can enter into the BIOS Setup by pressing the relevant key after the computer starts. The Boot screen will display the BIOS Settings by pressing the common BIOS keys such as F10, Esc, Del, F2, and F1. You need to choose your selection before the message disappears.
- You should know that the SATA option might be located in any different tabs on the BIOS firmware tools (depending upon the different manufactures the SATA option may vary on its specific location). By default, you can identify it under the Advanced tab, Integrated Peripherals, or even under the Onboard devices. However, you need to search and locate the SATA operation.
- After identifying the option, you can change or modify the settings to ATA or RAID or AHCI. ATA is the best and ideal option to proceed with the installation process of upgrading or new updates. Navigate and select the Exit Saving Changes under the Exit section and start the Boot process. If required, you need to execute the update once again.
- It is mandatory to change or modify the settings back to its original mode after completing the suggested process.
You can follow the below steps to fix the registry settings to resolve the Windows could not complete the installation error message:
- Within the error message screen, you need to press the Shift + F10 keys simultaneously to access the Command prompt window.
- Under the prompted screen, you need to type in regedit and hit the enter key.
- Within the Registry Editor, you can navigate to the following settings location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status
- If you found any mismatch then follow the below-provided information to modify or change the settings.
- You can double-click on the following keys to change the new value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\AuditBoot – Value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion\setup.exe – Value: 3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion\audit.exe – Value: 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\CleanupState – Value: 2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\GeneralizationState – Value: 7
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\UnattendPasses\auditSystem – Value: 0
- The Audit Mode will automatically disable after rebooting the computer and also the Windows starts regularly without any hassle.
Disable Audit Mode
Each time you execute the Sysprep command will automatically reset the Windows licensing from the state to its default. In case if your Windows OS is already activate then after executing the command, it is required to re-activate the Windows OS.
- Within the error message screen, access the Command prompt window.
- Type in the command: sysprep /oobe /generalize and press the enter key.
- This command will automatically disable the Audit Mode on your computer.
- Close all the existing windows and restart your computer as usual.
- If the issue persists then again access the Command prompt window.
- Type in the command: regedit and press the enter key to access the Registry Editor.
- Navigate through the registry key location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
- You can choose the ImageState option from the State Registry Key and delete the same from the Registry editor.
- After deleting the above string, you can restart your computer and check for the issue.
MMC Tweaks and Command Prompt
This troubleshooting step was also suggesting by the Microsoft experts to resolve the Windows. It could not complete the installation error message:
- Within the error message screen and still, the external storage device is connecting with your system, please use the Shift + F10 keys simultaneously to access the Command Prompt window.
- Type in the keyword MMC and hit the enter key to access the Microsoft Management Console. Choose the Add/Remove Snap-in option from the File Menu or also use the CTRL + M keys simultaneously.
- Select the option Local computer by double-clicking the Computer Management before tapping the Finish button. Then, press the Ok button.
- Double-click the option named Computer Management Local within the MMC window and navigate to the Users list which is located under Local Users & Group within System Tools.
- Uncheck the option Account is Disable by double-tapping the Administrator account and click on the Ok button.
- Choose the Set Password option by right-clicking on the Administrator account. Set a new password and reboot your computer.
After restarting your computer, the Windows could not complete the installation issue should be resolved now.
Command prompt window
If you are still experiencing the issue then you can give a try by following the below steps. It is under the Command prompt window:
- Within the error message screen, access the Command prompt window by pressing the Shift + F10 keys at the same time.
- Type in the below-provided commands one by one:
- You need to create a new generic account along with a strong password before completing the finishing stage. In case, if you have the product key in handy then enter the same while prompt. You have to set the Date and Time settings on your computer properly and press the Finish button.
Now, you can reboot your computer to apply the changes and check whether the Windows could not complete the installation issue is resolved.